Tuesday, August 14, 2007

"I was waiting for you"

I flew into Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday and met up with Mr. W. (who had been in Florida for 5 days already - it's good to be retired!). We drove up to go see my Dad. It had been a long time since I had seen him and I had a sudden urge to kiss his face and hold his hand.

His Alzheimer's is still progressing and I guess that will happen indefinitely. My Dad was robbed of 5 good years because once he heard his Diagnosis all he did, EVERYDAY, was stress over what the future held for him. He is now living his worst nightmare. If there is any blessing in this at all, it is that he has no idea that he is living his worst nightmare.

Mr. W. did a lot of little chores around my father's condo on Saturday - things my father used to do to keep things working smoothly. He was happy to do them - he would do anything for my dad.

When we finally all sat for dinner, Mr. Wonderful came to the table and my dad looked him square in the face and said, "I was waiting for you." Just like that, a sentence... those were the first words he spoke all day.

My dad stared into my eyes alot - he smiled at me often. He was not sure who I was, but there was definitely a connection between us. He did speak more on Saturday night and on Sunday morning, he called out "Angelutes" - a name only he called me.

It was so hard to see him like this. This trip was for me, not for him. He was sad when we left. I saved my tears for the car ride back to the airport.

I am glad we went...

No comments: