Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Father's Day

This Sunday is Father's Day. With the loss of both our Fathers, Mr. Wonderful is the star attraction. Being the humble man he is, he said, "Let's not make a big deal out of Father's Day this year." Yeah, ok, like THAT's going to happen!

I am hosting a BBQ with extended family. Mr. Wonderful will make sure the yard is presentable and follow me around the kitchen the previous day to help clean up after me while I cook. He will do all the cooking on the BBQ and make sure everyone is comfortable. He will put very little on his plate - making sure that everyone else has enough food (and there is always tons of leftovers!) He will quietly open his cards and shyly open his gifts. He is not a "Father's Day" kind of person.

Last Sunday, I made dinner for the kids. There were just 8 of us (it was ridiculously hot so I cooked indoors). We laughed and ate and talked. The kids teased each other relentlessly. All the boys cleaned the kitchen after dinner so I could relax with Michelle. We gathered around the table once again for dessert and we just enjoyed each other's company once more. THIS was Father's Day for Mr. Wonderful. No gifts, no fanfare - just sitting with his kids and laughing.

He is a special man. I am glad he is all mine.

2 comments:

Angela said...

So...how'd it go?

Angela said...

Just as I predicted - with one exception. Mr. Wonderful and the male offsprings bought me a new fountain for the backyard flower garden and they finished installing it about 10 minutes before the first guest arrived!