Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Old Friends

Mr. W and I went to see Phantom of the Opera last week. This was the second time (The first was 13 years ago!) It was just as magical this time around and even more special as we had company with us. We went with my brother and sister-in-law.

My brother and I were married the same year (him first, 6 months earlier). We have been very busy these last 30 years: raising families, paying mortgages, working on careers. We always came together for birthdays and holidays, but there was little time to do much more.

We socialize a lot more these days; not only on holidays, not only on birthdays. We double-date just "because". When you think about it, my brother was my first friend. He knows me longer than anyone. It is so nice to rejuvenate our relationship after all these years. Since my dad died, he is the official Patriarch, a title that he seems to take very seriously.

I am glad he is my friend.

No comments: