Tuesday, April 02, 2013

New Traditions

Easter has come and gone and it seems we have new traditions now.  For years, I have hosted all the holidays.  It was expected and I totally enjoyed it.  As my mother ages, it is increasingly difficult for her to get around, and as she lives an hour away from me, I have had to make some concessions for the holidays.  For the second year in a row, we all gathered near Mom's house for Easter dinner in a restaurant.  It is fun, but it is different.

There are no Easter outfits or Easter baskets.  The "kids" are all grown, most are married.  Those who are not working or with their in-laws always join us.  We are together.  Sitting at the "head" of the table is my mom.  These last few years have not been kind to her.  She seems to have aged tremendously in just the past few months.  It was good for all of us to be together.... We made a memory, but it saddens me a bit. 

I still long for the arrival of the Easter Bunny and the squeals of delight as the kids go through their baskets full of surprises

I can't help but wonder how things will be different in years to come....

No comments: