Monday, August 28, 2017

A Different Life

Life is so different these days.... Being a wife and mother for so many years, there are things ingrained in me that are just hard to "undo", but certainly much has changed.

I am no longer a wife.... I am choosing never to be a "wife" again.  I am not 20, (yes, that's when I got married!).  There are too many things that complicate a "legal union" at this stage of our lives.  That being said. I remain a "treasured fiance'" - and I am happy.  The Prince and I have a comfortable life together.  We have slowly defined our roles in the house.  Sometimes he takes the lead, sometimes I do.  We work well as a team, no matter what the project.  We both understand that a happy, successful relationship is "give and take" - NOT 50/50!  Let's face it, between us, we have over 75 years of marriage under our belts.  We entered into this relationship wanting the same thing - a happy life with a partner by our side.

I am still a mother.  Have been for nearly 40 years.  That will never change.  I am a parent, confidante' and role model to my children and my sons/daughters-in-law.  I am a "pseudo-parent" to my kids' friends when they need a shoulder or advice. I am a Grandma, Guga and Nanny to a host of little ones.

I have found that life will put many people in my path and each one will help define me as a person.  I am pleased to see that I am still learning, growing, and improving (I hope).  Each chapter brings new challenges and small changes.  I realize that I am a "work in progress".  

I must never forget that life can take a sharp turn, at any given moment.... but I still make plans - I like to give God a good laugh now and then.

No comments: