Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Special Relationship

Ally spent the day with me this past Saturday. The whole day, just me and Ally. This was not an uncommon occurrence prior to Ava's birth, but it is a rare happening since Ava has arrived.

Ally called me at 8:30am to remind me that Papa promised her a special day with Guga. (She had no idea that we got home at 2:30am the night before and Guga was still suffering the effects of a "Vodka Luge"). I told her I was anxiously awaiting her arrival and proceeded to get out of bed and into a long, hot shower. Papa rolled over and pulled the covers over his head.

We had the nicest day together. We went to Michael's and bought a special project that she wanted and we worked on it all day together. We went out to lunch and just talked and talked. Papa said we sounded like 2 birds chirping. We were together for 7 hours and never once turned on the television. When I finally took her home, she held on for the biggest hug.

There is something special about being the first grandchild. There is something speical in being a grandmother for the first time. Ally and I have a bond that cannot be explained. I love Ava and I will love all future (God willing) grandchildren - but nothing will compare to what Ally and I share. This relationship is truly one of life's greatest treasures.

No comments: