Monday, July 14, 2008

The Memorial

This weekend we had a Memorial Service for my Dad. He lived most of his life in NY and only moved to Florida for the last 17 years. Although he is laid to rest in Florida - this is his real home.

There were over 40 people who came to honor my Dad; long lost relatives and new close friends. The services were held at my parish Church. Although I have been living here for 4 years and attending this church, I never 'registered' with the parish until now. The priest did an extraordinary job of eulogizing my father during his homily. He called me several times prior to the service to discuss my dad's life, as he wanted to try to get to know him before speaking about him. Two of the grandsons did readings in Church and my brother, sister and I presented the gifts. At that time, the priest invited the 3 of us on to the altar for a special blessing -it was all so moving...

After Church we all went to a local restaurant where we sat for 5 hours - eating, sipping wine and reminiscing about my Dad. My nephew, Adam, gave a short speech about my Dad exemplifying the humor in my Dad's life - that man was funny up until the end! Adele (Wendy's mom)read something from the Old Testament stating "Life is a journey, death a destination". We passed around a picture album of my Dad with pictures of him throughout the years. My brother remembered to bring a copy of my Dad's patent - YES, he was awarded a patent - MY DAD WAS AN INVENTOR!! - only a handful of people knew that about him. It was great to share that about him. After the restaurant, the immediate family (about 15) came back to my house and continued to "embrace the moment" until the wee hours.

My children are a great example of what my Dad stood for. He embraced life and family - I saw that in my children this weekend more than ever. They embraced each other - they catered to their Dad and I. I was so proud of them.... My Dad was so proud of them...

1 comment:

Matriarch said...

Uncle Louie will live on in all the people he loved and touched, especially his family and friends. I'm sure he is looking down with pride and happiness.