Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My Gift from Key West

Allison:
I am not going to tell you what a wonderful time we all had - that's a given!

I am not going to report that this was the best year EVER - we say that every year.

I am not going to say that there is no vacation like a "girls' vacation - if you have never done it, you would not understand; and if you have, you know it is the truth!

I AM going to tell you what I learned on this trip. I learned that my daughter, Allison, is a very special person. She was always wonderful in my eyes, but this trip afforded me the opportunity to see her and get to know her through other people's eyes.

I was coming down to see Allison with friends and family in tow. Yes, she knew all these people - but I know, in my heart, everything she did - she did for me. She worked as many hours as she had to, in order to be able to spend my entire vacation with us. She and her wonderful roommates (Crafty and Chad) went from store to store shopping and preparing before we got there. She and Crafty picked us all up at the airport in grand style and brought us to the house we rented. The house was fully stocked with: prepared food and snacks, assorted cocktail fixings and the A/C running full blast!

During the course of the next few days, we met and socialized with MANY of Allison's friends. These people ran the gamut: men/women, single/married, gay/straight, Americans/Foreigners, and even little children comprised this group. It was the most interesting 5 days of my life! The laughter and camaraderie was overwhelming. They made dinner for us... They baked cookies for us.... They arranged a kayak tour for us... The list goes on and on. My personal favorite was when we went out to breakfast and the cook came out of the kitchen to "Kiss Allison's Momma!"

Every one of these people took me aside to tell me what a wonderful person Allison was and how fortunate they were to have her in their lives. WHAT A GIFT..... TO ME!

It is hard to be a parent. It is VERY hard to be a good parent. Allison is my reward for working so hard...


Crafty and Chad

3 comments:

Matriarch said...

It is oh so rewarding to see our children grow up to be the wonderful people we hoped they would be. We all know Allison to be a very kind and caring person (okay very fun loving also).

Gobbagram said...

You are a very lucky, blessed woman. You reap what you sow.

Heidi said...

that's wonderful! what a tribute!