Wednesday, August 04, 2010

You are HOW OLD??

I recently hosted a surprise 80th birthday party for my mom. We gave her a surprise 50th and a surprise 75th - I figured we didn't have to do it again until she was 100, but I was out-voted. My mom always thought is best to keep her age a secret (yeah, I know... I don't get it either...)

I have been struggling about how to write about this party. I can choose to recall all the ridiculous effort that went into pulling off the surprise. I can tell about the hard work and $$$ that goes into such an affair. I can even let you all know how we worked at coming up with the guest list.... But I think it is better to remember the sweeter moments...

I loved how the out-of-state guests (Allison and my sister) came a day early so we could start the party the day before the actual event.

I loved how we had a betting pool to see how long it would take my mother to say something stupid about our new puppy. Mr. Wonderful won, he guessed 10 seconds.

I loved how Allison told my mom how nice it was that we finally got a dog (St. Bernard) who can carry her ashes.

I loved how Bobby supplied the Ice Luge so we could all have ice cold Black Cherry Bacardi shots.

I loved how my cousins did not bat an eye when I asked them to travel from Jersey to Long Island on a Saturday in the Summer (God Bless you all for not mentioning the Hampton's Beach Traffic).

I loved how a "second generation cousin" actually WANTED to be there and she came bearing gifts - ASSORTED JELLO SHOTS!!

I loved how my 83 yr. old aunt (mom's sister) smacked me several times for making irreverent statements (WHO, ME? Irreverent??)

I loved how Mr. Wonderful volunteered to drive home some kids so they could continue to party until wee hours of the night.

I loved how "extended family" (read that: "Angela and Linda's friends") were happy to be a part of it all and helped in making the day a success.

I loved when I woke up the next morning, knowing that the house was still overflowing with love from the day before.

Happy Birthday, Mom. Thanks for giving me the excuse to have a party and make so many wonderful memories with my family.


Brother, Sister, Mother, ME!

3 comments:

Matriarch said...

OMG! You should thank God that your Aunt will not see this blog - she was only 82 in May!!!!!!!
I was only sorry that we couldn't stay longer. Thanks for including us and your hard work.

Mama Llama said...

Nice work, Guga! Lovely family photo! I am so glad to know you cherish moments like this...it is what life is all about!

Heidi said...

Your mom does NOT look 80! You have some good genes, girl. Happy belated birthday to MOG (mother of Guga). And I don't know Allison but I think I love her - that remark about Brandy made me spit out my tea!