Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Royal Wedding

I thought I might share some special "Mom" moments with you all.  Every mom thinks their child's wedding is perfect.... but I had some moments that will forever be in my heart.

Rehearsal at the Church was irreverent, funny, and sweet!  When the priest finally reined in the bridal party, he sent Bobby and Michael Jr (best man) down the aisle.  It was just so sweet to watch the two of them walk away from me with their arms around each other and poking eachother. I could see their bodies shake as they laughed the whole time.  It was as if they were 5 and 7 all over again.  Seeing Allison trip across the altar as "Chevy Chase on Saturday Night Live" brought the entire church to laughter!  Watching Michelle alternately laugh and cry was both predictable and sweet!

At the rehearsal dinner, my beautiful "new daughter" hands me a gift, hugs and kisses me and says, "THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING, we love you".  Inside was a lace handkerchief embroidered with the words, "Thank you for raising your son to be the man of my dreams.  Love, Suse" 

I was hounding Michael Jr. for weeks about his Best Man speech.  He had been promising to send me the 'rough draft' for days.  When I picked him up the day of the wedding, he finally read it to me.  He made me laugh and cry.... I think I started holding my breath from that moment on.

Bobby arrived at the house early and he sent his sister, Allison, to deliver a wedding gift to his bride.  (are you crying yet?)  The photographer and groomsmen soon appeared.  Pictures and "SHOTS" all around!! - YAY!!  Soon, we were all off to the church. 

Since there were a couple hours between the ceremony and the reception, I was not sure the kids would have a full Church - BOY, was I wrong!  Nearly everyone invited to the wedding was there.  What a beautiful site .... some of my cousins left their homes at noon to be there (and the reception was not ending until 1:30am!)

The big moment finally arrives..... everyone is in their place and we all stand as Suse walks in with her father.  Since I already knew how beautiful she looked, my eyes were plastered on my son's face... watching as his eyes fill as he caught his first glimpse of his bride .... what a moment!

After kissing 300 people on the receiving line, we were off to take pictures. My family was headed back to my house for some light refreshments prior to the reception.  Imagine the excitement as they pulled up to my house with waiters standing outside with trays of cocktails to greet them!  (Thanks to Allison and her staff)

When Mr. W and I walked into the Cocktail Hour at the Hall, we were just mesmerized by all the people and the kind things they were saying to us.  There were guests from NY, NJ, IL, FL, CA, and Portugal!!  What an amazing night this was going to be!!

After we all made our grand entrance, they called up the Best Man to give a toast.  Michael Jr. read his speech, as Bobby and Suse stared into his eyes.... all the while, Bobby had his hand wrapped around his brother's leg.  People were laughing and tearing up as well.  This was the most heartfelt speech/toast I had ever heard.  I started to breathe normally after that!

The food was great.  The music was fabulous.  The dancing was superb (yes, those lessons paid off!!)  Then Suse danced with her father to a traditional Portuguese song, "Beautiful Bride".  So Sweet!  Finally, it was my turn to dance with my son.  Bobby picked out the song and kept it a secret.... "A Song for Mama" by Boyz II Men.  As long as I live, I will never forget those moments with my son....

.... It was a magical day.... Everything was perfect.... Hopefully this will set the stage for a lifetime of love and happiness for my son and 'daughter'.

1 comment:

Joanne Faraci said...

How wonderful. You have many blessings.