Thursday, October 08, 2015

Fearless

I recently took a trip to Florida.  The weather in New York was promising to be anything but sunny, so the timing was perfect.  The charts at the airport reported my departing flight to be on time - YAY!!!  I am happy to say that we did, indeed, board on time.

The problems started at the runway.  There were approximately 4500 planes that had to take off before us (or so it seemed).  We sat on that runway for over an hour - I wonder if Jet Blue still considered this an "on time" flight?!?!?

There were lots of 'weather issues' in the surrounding area, all headed for New York.  Whereas the eventual take off  was uneventful, the ascent to our cruising altitude left much to be desired.  There was non-stop bouncing and lots of funny sounds - it seemed to take forever.  In the past, an experience like this would always result in me holding on tight and saying my prayers.  Not this time...  This time was different.

During this rocky climb, I did grasp the seat arms to steady myself, but mostly I just stared out the window.  I realized, at that moment, that I was not afraid to face demise.  To quote a friend, "death had no hold on me".  I had a quiet conversation with God and simply said, "If you are ready for me, so be it as I know Mike will be waiting there to greet me.  HOWEVER, perhaps all the rest of the people on this plane are not so ready to go, so please think carefully before making a decision."  Imagine that, me giving God advice!!!  Frankly, that wasn't the first time I offered a suggestion to the Lord, and I am sure it won't be the last!!

I have decided that I will define myself in my 'new normal' as "fearless".   Look out world, I am even stronger than I was before!

No comments: