Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Storchevoy Sundays are back!

Storchevoy Sundays have resumed at my house.  Thankfully, the kids hosted it all Summer long (and by 'the kids', I mean Allison and Lisa).  However, as the cooler weather crept in, my youngest son boldly said to me, "This house is not closed.  We are coming for dinner on Sunday."  I guess he told me!

We are now a couple weeks back on track.  I find myself excited to cook for the kids once again.  I love to cook, and I haven't done so in a while.  I rarely 'cook' for myself during the week, but there is always healthy food in the fridge.  I am managing NOT to waste away - LOL!  By the end of the week, I am planning a menu and on Saturdays I shop for the inevitable feast.

Throughout the years, I have learned that it does not matter what I serve the family as long as we are together.  This being said, I do try to make a LOT of whatever I am cooking so they can all take home a meal of leftovers  and I have some stuff to  nibble on during the week.  Last week, I went to 3 different stores and loaded up the Jeep - then I called Michael and asked him to meet me at the house just to carry the groceries in for me as my broken ankle makes the steps such a challenge, still.

Last Sunday, the kids huddled around the kitchen counter for hours, just nibbling, talking and laughing.  My heart swelled as I embraced their camaraderie.  We all entered the dining room for dinner and the kids cleaned up as I packed up their leftovers.  Everything flowed just so smoothly.  I realized that we had developed our own "kitchen dance".

Storchevoy Sundays are just a little different now.  I cook alone and  I sit at the head of the table.  But the love that permeates the house is still the same.  If you see me counting on my fingers, I am just taking note of all my blessings.

No comments: