Sunday, November 29, 2015

To My Sons

Dear Michael and Bobby,

Everyone knows there is a special bond between mothers and their sons.  That being said, I challenge any mother to try to compare their sons to mine.  In my eyes, they will all fail in comparison, I assure you.

Just like your father, you are both FAR from perfect - but, to me, you are gifts from God - born of the love between your Dad and I,   It's not that I ever took either of you for granted, but lately I have come to realize just what fine men you have become - right before my eyes!

I always thought of myself as a strong, intelligent woman who walked side-by-side with your father.    It is certainly true that since I am alone,  I have had my ups and downs,  It never ceases to amaze me how the two of you seem to be there every time I have stumbled or became temporarily unsure of myself.

I have also witnessed how close the two of you have become.  You are no longer the older brother and the baby brother.  I have seen you switch roles and depend on each other for different things.  I have noticed how you "tag-team" to keep an eye on me.  And it cracks me up when the two of you try to determine what is "best for me"!

Whereas everyday is a adventure for me in defining my "new normal", it has been comforting knowing that you two have always 'got my back'.

All that being said.... it is time for me to go back to being the MOM.  You  have been more than loving and attentive, but it is time for you to put your spouses back as your number one priority.  I promise to rely on you and lean on you when I need you.  I will continue to discuss all important matters with you both, and listen as you give me your feedback.  I promise to relent to your judgement when it comes to your individual matters of expertise.  I see you differently now; you are both extraordinary men who just happen to be my sons.

Most importantly, I make this promise to you: I will continue to work on myself to return to that self-assured, independent woman you have known all these years.

Love you always.
Mom



No comments: