Monday, July 10, 2006

Where did the weekend go?

I find it hard to believe that it is Monday already. I know there must have been a weekend - I am not sure how I missed it. I remember Friday night my daughter telling me that Ally will need a 50's costume for camp on Wednesday - my mind went into overdrive. I knew I had planned the whole day out on Sunday with Ally and Wendy (sister-in-law, cohort, friend) - that only left Saturday to shop for the material, design the outfit, and make it. - I could do that.

Saturday arrives and Mr. Wonderful and Chip (son-in-law) are taking Ally miniature golfing. "Be sure to have her home at a reasaonable time I have to take measurements!"

Trish and I (with Ava in tow) are heading to the fabric store. The cell phone rings - It's the guys - "Let's meet for lunch". Off to California Pizza Kitchen. One set of Grandparents, One set of parents, One starved and sleep deprived 4 yr. old and my one month old granddaughter that I am going to shield from all stray germs - (note to self - dining out is not as fun as it used to be...) Lunch was eaten - a good tip was left for that hard working young lady who tried so hard to please all of us - I needed an antacid before we got into the parking lot! We departed, and left in separate directions - the guys and Ally in one car - and Trish, Ava and I, once again, off to the fabric store.

After 2 craft stores, one fabric store, a stop for Dunkin Donuts Iced coffee, several phone calls from Mr. Wonderful, et al, we were done and on our way home. We pursuaded Trish and Chip to go out for dinner leaving Ava and Ally with us (at our house). I fed and showered Ally and put her in PJ's and put her to bed - THEN I took measurements for the poodle skirt (FYI, a sleeping child is very easy to measure). I fed and changed Ms. Ava, reveling in the fact that I had an infant in my arms, and thoroughly enjoying evey minute of it - until her 'fussy time' set it - like clockwork - 9:00 pm - EVERY NIGHT. I was happy to hand her off to Mr. Wonderful explaining that I HAD to make Ally's costume!

Mr. Wonderful walked the floors with Ava while I carefully ironed, measured, cut and sewed away. Trish and Chip came around 11 to pick up the kids - both of whom were sleeping soundly. Ally stayed over and Ava went home.

Sunday morning I awoke early and put the finishing touches on the skirt (momma poodle and baby poodle - complete with leashes), and made matching neckerchief and bandana for Ally's hair. Yes, I did complete it - way before the deadline - either I am getting quicker, or I have found a couple more hours in a day!

Ally, Wendy and I thoroughly enjoyed our day on the Boardwalk at Long Beach. Yes, I am still having weekends, but they are not planned by me anymore.

As they say, life is a journey - I am just not in the driver's seat anymore. For a while, I am content to be the passenger on this ride and see life through my granddaughters' eyes. How lucky am I?

No comments: