Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Taking simple things for granted.

I was fine. Getting ready for the girls for Mah Jongg. Ordered a pizza for dinner - no time for cooking tonight. Trish dropped Ava off so she could take Ally and her friend to dinner. Ava is taking her first steps - with lots of help. She was pushing her wagon and walking along when she found herself stopped in a corner. Frustrated because she couldn't move, I bent over, turned the wagon and lifted her to turn her around when SUDDENLY - ...

I felt like I broke my back. You know that feeling when you bend over and rip the back seam of your pants? That's how my back felt. All I could do was grunt, in a hunched over position, while Mr. W. came running. He know in a nano-second what happened (he has seen it all too often in his own life - the man has more herniated discs in his spine than good ones!)

Bobby took care of Ava - fed her, gave her a bottle and put her in for a nap. Mr. W. tended to me - he sprayed my back with a "painkiller in a bottle", put 2 pain patches on me and eased me on to the couch. I had 15 minutes before the Mah Jongg Girls (MJG) were to arrive.

Slowly, and with lots of help, I was downstairs in my "East" position ready to pick my tiles when the MJG arrived. Sensing my pain, they did all the hostessing for themselves - BUT THE GAME MUST GO ON! Thankfully, we ended a little early and I shuffled off to bed - ARMED WITH: painkiller, muscle relaxer, and sedative.

Here I am, at work, with my ice/hot pack - yes, I came to work. I do not like taking off time from work as 'sick' days. I ALWAYS come to work when I am sick. I take off for important events: Ally's Spring Concert, Ally's Kindergarten Graduation, Bobby's College Graduation, Parent's Day at Ally's Camp...

I will trudge, slowly, through the day. I will creep into my bed tonight. I will remember what it is like NOT to be in pain - and I will NEVER take that for granted again!

No comments: