Monday, January 18, 2016

The MR Ladies

This past weekend, I was honored to host a group of women who went to high school with me.  Since our high school reunion nearly 2 years ago, we have remained in touch through facebook.  This was a spontaneous gathering for cocktails, appetizers and desserts.  You can't imagine my thrill when everyone responded within an hour that they were coming!

Mr. Wonderful and I ALWAYS entertained - we were good at it!  We were the best team!!  It was quite bittersweet to pull this off without him - but, somehow, I knew he was looking on and pushing me to do this.  This was the first big gathering at the house since he died.  My kids kept preaching, "THIS HOUSE IS NOT CLOSED!!"  They were a gentle, but guiding force in helping me pull this off.  Allison sent a list of suggested appetizers, Michael came over to move furniture and have a long talk with the pups telling them to behave, Bobby did the liquor store run and came over that morning to help with last minute preparations.

And then the ladies arrived!  The house "hummed" for hours!  There was kissing and hugging and everyone came in with an addition for the 'feast'.  The girls gathered in little groups at first - and eventually, we all gathered around the dining room table - the talking and laughter never stopped!  They shared stories of high school days, along with events in their lives today.  There was NOTHING about the day that I would have changed....

There is something very special about entertaining women.  No one has to be served.  Everyone was comfortable within 30 seconds.  No one left the room to put on the TV!  No one was watching the clock trying to come up with a reason to leave.  And, best of all, the entire mess was cleaned up before the last guest left!!

"Ladies, thank you all for gathering in my home.  Your presence was so healing for my heart.  I will be forever grateful for the warmth and love you bestowed on me."






3 comments:

wendyweighsin.com said...

Laurie Broderick is a dear friend of mine and was so blessed being together with all of you at your house. Loved reading your blog post. By opening your heart and your home, you blessed so many lives. Keep using all of your gifts and talents to touch hearts, something tells me you still have so many amazing things to do!!!

wendyweighsin.com said...

My dear friend Laurie Broderick was so blessed to be at your gathering, she shared how special it was. Continue to open your heart and home and use all of your beautiful gifts and talents to bless others...Something tells me you still have so many amazing things to do and lives to touch!

Unknown said...

This was clearly the most amazing day I have had in I just don't know how long. It was easy, and everyone was glad to bring dishes and enjoy each others company. Like we never skipped a beat. And that is how friends should be...right? And we have more wonderful memories ahead of us. Thank you Angela for throwing it out there...so glad so many grabbed on for such an experience~~~ Love my MR ladies :)