Wednesday, August 23, 2006

"Toodles" lives on

When I was a child I had a favorite doll, "Toodles" - she was a gift for my first birthday. Toodles went everywhere with me as we were inseparable. Every Aunt and Uncle has a story about me and Toodles!

I am happy to say that Toodles has survived all these years and is alive and well, living in my house - in my (spare) Granddaughters' bedroom. Ally plays with Toodles all the time - she and Ava are about the same size now - she even wears Ava's hand-me-downs. I told Ally all the stories I could remember about the adventures Toodles and I went on and I guess she understands how special that doll is to me. She is not the prettiest doll in the world and she doesn't do any tricks (no batteries involved) - however, she is gently weathered and I swear I can see tear stains on her(my tears).

In my youth, I shared all my secrets, joys and hurts with Toodles. Perhaps Ally can feel a part of me that was lost a long time ago when she is holding Toodles - maybe not...

What a thrill it is to see a piece of my history live on in the gentle hands of my Beautiful, First Granddaughter. Although Ally is young in years, she has a sense of what is precious - and you just can't teach that to a child.

No comments: