Thursday, November 03, 2016

Yours.....Mine......Ours?

I think one of the biggest hurdles in a relationship at this age is that we are a "package deal".  I come with kids, their partners, their children, and pets.  Love me, love my family!

When Prince Charming and I started dating, it was my children who insisted on meeting him.  I guess they wanted to size up the guy who seemed to have stolen my heart.  To be honest, I didn't think twice about it.  I knew my kids.  They were not going to be a**holes.  They would be courteous and warm (to his face), have a discussion with eachother, then give me the consensus of their opinion.  I also knew PC well enough to know he could hold his own under such careful inspection.  I could never have fallen for someone who could not.  He was a good man, with good values and a fabulous sense of hunor.

One by one, the kids (and their respective partners/kids/pets) met PC.  There were handshakes, smiles and pleasant conversations.  At the end of each gathering, there were hugs and kisses.  I knew immediately that I had the right man by my side.  My children agreed.

Then it was time for me to meet Prince Charming's kids.  WAIT!!!!    WHAT?!?!?!?!  Somehow, in all my careful research prior to entering the dating world, I completely disregarded the fact that "I" would ever be under such scrutiny.  But, as they say, "live and learn!"  There were 4 offspring (and partners, etc.) - they loving call themselves the "C-Unit" ("C"  for Charming, I'm sure!).


At first I was a bit nervous about meeting the chldren of someone who had become so important to me.  When we fell in love, it was just "us", not the myriad (or so it was beginning to seem) of people who had to grace us with their approval.  When I finally regained my grip on reality  - I faced the inevitable and let the chips fall where they may.  Afterall, if their dad found something special in me, I am sure they will see it too, right?  I greeted each offspring (et.al) with a smile and warm embrace.... each meeting was different and each was special in its own way.  I could easily spot a piece of Prince Charming in each child and, as a result,  I felt an instant connection to each of them.

Our chidren are no longer just "names" that we talk about.  They are all family now.

We are both looking forward to watching our family grow.

No comments: